Despite what Bruce Feirstein said, real men DO, in fact, eat quiche, because it's awesome!Ingredients (serves 4 as a main, 8 as a starter)
250g shortcrust pastry (home or ready-made)
3 large eggs
400ml milk, or cream, or 200ml of both.
100g grated cheese (mild cheddar, Gruyère)
50g cooked chicken
50g pancetta or streaky bacon
100g mushrooms (button or chestnut)
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2) Flour surface and roll out pastry so it will fit your dish. I use a 10 inch x 10 inch medium square ceramic dish to serve this in, as in the photo, but you can use a round or metal dish also.
3) Blind bake the pastry in your chosen dish for 10/15 minutes.
4) Beat the eggs lightly and add the cream/milk, add some grated cheese. Season the mixture with salt and plenty of pepper.
5) Fry bacon until crispy, cut into chunks. Slice mushrooms and chicken.
6) Add the above to the egg mixture and stir well.
7) Sprinkle pastry case base with more grated cheese. Pour mixture into case. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the grated cheese and oregano.
8) Cook in the oven for around 30 minutes until set and browned on top. Serve with a fresh green salad.Alternatively
You can remove the bacon and chicken and add other vegetables to make it vegetarian. Broccoli and leek work very well. Fry off the leeks but add small broccoli florets uncooked.